BASELIOS PUBLIC SCHOOL
(Managed by The Trust of The Society of St. Basil)
10th – ANNUAL REPORT 2018-19
- Before presenting the Annual Report I would like to pay homage to our Great Guru Late Lamented His Grace Thomas Mar Athanasios, The founder President of the Trust of the Society of St. Basil, who left for heavenly abode on 24 August 2018. May God have him in his glory and give him rest for all eternity.
- Now the New President of the Trust of the Society of St.Basil is Reverend Father M.S. John.
- It is my proud privilege to welcome you all to the 10th Annual Day Celebration of Baselios Public School and present before this august gathering the Annual report for the academic session 2018-19. On behalf of The Society of St. Basil and The Baselios Public School family I, extend a very warm welcome to Honourable Chief Guest Mr. Ashok Alva, CGMT, Gujarat Refinery, Mrs. Shubhra Aggrawal, Mr. Varghese Thomas, Mr. Shaji Mathai, Mr. Jacob Vaidyan Trustees of the Society of St. Basil, Miss Mukta Patel Prime Minister of the school Parliament, Distinguished guests, Principals of our sister schools and of various schools, parents, Teachers and my dear students.
- The sole aim of our institution is to impart sound education and create intellectually sharp, emotionally balanced and morally sound citizens. Therefore along with academics a wide range of activities are conducted to enhance the moral values, talents and abilities of the students.
- This academic session started on 4th April 2018 with the blessings of His Grace Thomas Mar Athanasios.
- Our staff Mrs. Sosamma Varghese, Co-ordinator got promoted and transferred to St. Paul’s School, Baroda as a Principal. Mrs. Bindu Krishnan is appointed as a new Co-ordinator.
- One of our staff Mrs Bikhi Ben Retired from service in the month of June due to superannuation. A farewell was given to her on behalf of the Trust and School.
- School Parliament
- Elections for the school parliament were held in the month of June. The students voted for their favourite Candidate through Secret Ballot System. Miss Mukta Patel and Master Dhaval Bharvadia were elected as the School Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister respectively. The new cabinet was installed. Mr. Varghese Thomas and Mr. Shaji Mathai bestowed the office bearers with Badges and Sashes. Oath was taken and duties were assigned to each member of the school parliament.
- Academic Achievements
- In CBSE Board 2017-18 Std. X examination, we achieved 100% result. 25 students appeared out of which 24 students passed with distinction and first division and one student secured second division. Miss Shweta Thorat stood first with 96.4%, Darshan Purohit stood Second with 91% and Shikha Diwedi stood third with 86.2%.
- I feel proud to share that we are going to present the first batch of Std. XII for CBSE board examination in March 2019. I am sure our children are going to bring excellent result.
- Orientation with Parents
- Orientation for K.G, Primary and Secondary students was held in the month of June. A detailed power point presentation on remodelled assessment structure was given to the parents of VI to XII Students and made them aware of the new initiative taken by CBSE. A healthy interaction took place with parents & all their queries were answered. His Grace interacted with parents and students of Std. X and motivated students to perform better.
- Half Yearly and All India Examinations
- In order to prepare the children for competitive exams and gain confidence to be at par with the best students at National and International level, children were encouraged to participate in Science, Mathematics and English Olympiad. Children also participated in ‘Talent Search’ exams.
- Summative Assessment of Std. I to Std. V and Half Yearly Exam of Std. VI to XII was conducted and Parent- Teacher contact day and review was held to discuss the results. Project works prepared by the students were displayed on that day.
The school looks at each learner as a unique ‘whole person’ with inherent genius, special capabilities and unlimited potential. By providing a conducive and encouraging environment the learners are mentored to participate in a variety of intra and inter school activities and competitions. These help them not only to showcase their talents, hone their skills but these also entail opportunities that lead to multi-dimensional growth of their physical, social, intellectual and spiritual being.
- Our students are divided into four houses namely Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. Inter House competitions are organised throughout the year to develop a variety of skills with competitive spirit.
- They also get the opportunity to participate in all the inter-school competitions held by Sahodaya Central Gujarat CBSE schools.
- Inter House Singing Competition was held for the KNT Namboothiri Trophy. A choir from each house presented songs on the theme of ‘Mother’ Trophy was bagged by Yellow house.
- Inter House Folk Dance competition was also held and the first prize was bagged by Yellow House.
- An elocution competition was organized by IOCL as a part of Vigilance Awareness Week. The topic was “Corruption Free India” V. S. Bhavani of std. X bagged the first prize. A talk was also given by the CISF commandant on “Eradicate corruption –Build a new India”,our Children also took pledge to eradicate corruption.
- An Extempore speech competition was held for the students of V to XII. Topics were given to each participant half an hour before the event. This Activity helps the students to speak fluently with confidence. Vruta Patel of Std. VII in Junior Group and Khushi Naik of Std. IX in Senior group won the first prize in this event.
- To inculcate interest in Mathematics and judge the mental ability of students, Mental Maths competitions were held.
- Inter House G.K. quiz competition held for Kalpana Dutta Rolling Trophy for Junior Group was won by the team of Red house and the BPS Rolling Trophy for Senior Group was also won by Red house.
- Our children also participated in various Inter school Quiz competitions organized by the Association of British Scholars, MGM School Vadodara, Heritage Quiz by CBSE.
- Hindi week was celebrated in the month of September. Various competitions were held like Debate, Poem Writing, Essay Writing, Poem Recitation, Storytelling and Hand writing competition. Children participated enthusiastically.
- Competitions were held for Best out of waste and Collage making.
- Inter House Essay competition in English was held for both Junior and Senior group and in which Green house won the trophy.
- A debate competition was held for the Alka Smart Rolling Trophies which were bagged by Khushi Naik of Std. IX in Senior group and Dhruvi Parmar of Std. VIII in Junior group. A debate competition was organized by IOCL to create awareness amongst students about the role of preventive vigilance in reducing corruption. The first prize was bagged by Khushi Naik of Class IX.
- An Inter house cooking competition was held and The Naval Kishore Jani Rolling Trophy for culinary excellence was bagged by the Master Chefs of Red House. Mrs. Alka Smart the former Principal of Baselios Public School judged the students on various culinary skills and also gave some tips on nutrition.
- Our school hosted the prestigious 35th Inter-School Debate Competition for Baselios Rolling Trophy. 16 Schools from in and around Baroda participated in this competition.
- Dhayana Mandavia of Std.VI was selected for the famous show “Kaun Banega Carorepati Junior” and she had a wonderful experience with the living legend Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, who was the Quiz Master.
- G. and Junior Primary Week
- G. and Junior Primary Week was organized during which the students had a week long program of fun, competitions, film show and field trip. The week ended with a cultural programme presented for parents on the theme of ‘Pappa Mere Pappa’. The Chief Guest, Mrs. Shubra Agrawal awarded prizes to the Winners of all the competitions.
- Sports and Games
- The domain of sports has the vast potential to “better” the game of life itself. Besides promoting physical fitness, it lays importance on healthy lifestyle and helps in developing social skills. Sports play a pivotal role in instilling among our impressionable learners values that would hold them in good stead throughout their lives, such as, discipline, perseverance, team spirit, sportsmanship etc.
- Various Inter- House events were held this year like Cricket, Badminton, Kabaddi, Volley ball, Kho-Kho.
- Dhaval Namjoshi Trophies for these events were won by different Houses.
- 10th Annual Sports day was celebrated on 3rd November 2018 with a spectacular March Past and drills. Red House secured the highest points and was the winner. The Champion of Champions trophy for boys was bagged by Pritam Yadav of Std. X and for girls Khushi Naik of Std. IX.
- Khushi K. Gowda of Std. VII won bronze medal in Wado India National Karate Championship 2018 and also won bronze medal in Independence Cup Karate championship 2018 orgnaised by Seiko Kai Karate International, India & Bharat Karate Academy, held at Delhi.
- Our children participated in various events in Khel Mahakhmbh and were selected for state level. Khushi Naik of Std. IX stood first in 200 m race and Mukti Trivedi of Std. IX stood first in 100 m race and were selected for state level. Arumima Binsih of Std. X was selected for State level Badminton, Rohak Sharma of Std. VIII and Vedant Rawat of Std. VII for State level Football. Harshit Kanojia of Std. X for Table Tennis, Subham Chatterjee, Dhawal Bharvaida and Kashif Abdullah of Std. X for state level Handball.
- Our School hosted the 4th Gyan Sarovar Sahodaya Athletic Meet in which more than 400 students from various CBSE Schools in Gujarat participated. The Athletic meet was inaugurated by Mr. Sudhir Kumar, Executive Director, Gujarat Refinery. The Trustees of The Society of St. Basil and the Chairperson of Gyan Sarovar Sahodaya Mrs. Priyadarshini Kelkar was also present on this occasion.
- Festivals & Celebrations
- Children celebrated World Environment Day on 5th June. Pledge was taken by students to
protect natural resources, minimize its wastage and create awareness among fellow beings.
Saplings were also planted in the school campus marking the importance of the healthy and
green environment. The theme was “Beat Plastic Pollution”. Plastic below 40 micron will be
banned from 1st January, 2019 in our school.
- International Yoga day was celebrated on 21st June 2018 in our school with great enthusiasm.
- On Independence Day our students presented a patriotic programme at the community Hall which was highly appreciated by parents and IOCL dignitaries.
- As a part of Swatchata Abhiyan children participated in a rally to celebrate the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. Pledge was taken by all the children as a part of swacch bharat mission. Poster Making Competition was also held.
- As a part of National Integration Day various activities were held like ‘Run for Unity’ and ‘Desi Day’ in which children came in traditional dress of their region. Integration pledge was also taken by the Children.
- We have celebrated Teachers Day , Navratri, Diwali and Christmas with great enthusiasm.
- Training and Workshops
- Fire Prevention Awareness Campaign was organized by Fire and Safety Department of Gujarat Refinery. Emergency Evacuation Drill and different kinds of rescue methods in fire accidents were demonstrated.
- The Trust of the Society of St. Basil organized a seminar for teachers on 16th June, 2018 on the topic “Education in the 21st Century” and the resource person was Dr. Anna Neena George, Associate Professor at Dr. Dada Vaidya College of Education, Goa.
- Various workshops for teachers on all the subjects including Art & Craft, Computers were held, enlightening the innovative methods of classroom teachings by Gyan Sarovar, Community Science center, ITM Universe, British Council and Capacity building programmes organized by CBSE on Gender Sensitivity, classroom management and workshop on various subjects were attended by all the teachers of our school.
- This year, I got the opportunity to attend a two day workshop on Inclusion and inclusive strategies organised by Center of Excellence, Ajmer and the Capacity Building workshop on “Remodelled Structure of Assessment”.
- I also got the opportunity to attend an interactive Session with the Chairman of CBSE Mrs Anita Karwal I.A.S. at Ahmedabad, which was attended by all the Principals of the schools affiliated to CBSE.
To inculcate the qualities of compassion and love among the students and also to give back to
the society for various Nobel causes, activities and support for the poor and needy, our students
donated old cloths and useful items to Bal Gopal organization. Our children also contributed for
“Chief Minister’s Special Relief Fund” for the Kerala Flood victim. I express our sincere thanks
to Parents, staff and students for their whole hearted co-operation.
- Field Trips:
- As a part of Field trip students visited Baroda museum, Zoo, Sayaji Bagh and Eco- Park in Guajrat Refinery.
- As a part of Annual picnic children visited Amusement park and water park at Enjoy city.
- We are going to start Senior Secondary Commerce Stream from next session 2019-20.
- The year 2018 has been eventful. I am sure that with the blessings of God Almighty and blessing of our Guru and Mentor Late His Grace Thomas Mar Athanasios and partnership of staff, students, parents and management, we will be able to achieve excellent progress.
- I am deeply indebted to Late Lamented His Grace Thomas Mar Athanasios who always motivated and encouraged to perform better. We will be following the guidance and advice given by him, even though he is not physically present with us.
- I extend my sincere thanks to Mr. Varghese Thomas and Mr. Shaji Mathai for the advice, help and support they have given at every stage.
- We are deeply indebted to Shri. Sudhir Kumar, Executive Director and all the personnel in the various departments of IOCL for their generous help during the year.
May I take this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude to students, both teaching and non-
teaching staff, parents and well wishers for their whole hearted co-operation and support. Before
concluding this report, I bow my head in reverence to the Almighty God for the blessings He has
showered upon this institution. With all humility I submit this report before all of you.
Report Presented by